Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Potty Training

I have reached that point where I no longer need diapers. It is a relief and a great deal easier on the check book. Even though it is a little more work when we go to the grocery store and stand in line for 15 minutes then have to rush out of line to find a bathroom before we have checked out it seems to be great. Except, now my easy going always helpful six year old is having problems making it to the toilet on time. I made two trips to the school last week when she had accidents. I am thinking of taking her to the doctor but I do not feel it is a bladder control problem because she doesn't wet her bed at nights. Some one suggested I talk to her about if she had been sexually abuse which I did immediately but was relieved that is was not that. It has been going on for a while but has been a lot worse the past month. We have tried punishing her, bribing her, and actually making her wear boys underwear which mostly stemmed from necessity but embarrassed her but all things started out to make a difference but she soon decided they longer bothered her enough to focus on making it to the bathroom on time. I am at my wits end with her and truly don't know what else I can do. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I am desperate and will try just about anything.

2 comments:

  1. We are having the same issue only with our son. We had tried all things you mentioned, and were just about to pull our hair out when we decided to enforce the potty rule--which is we send him to the toilet at least every two hours. He has NO CHOICE. He has to go. We don't ask "do you need to go" we tell him "It's time to go" (and when we do this there are rarely accidents). Our hope is it will re-set his "Urge clock" and he'll begin to recognize it himself again. It's a bit of a pain, but worth it to not deal with the mess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I will give it a try. I never thought about going back to the basics but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete